Dental emergencies may not be as dangerous as other health problems, but they do need immediate attention. Your oral health is intimately tied to your overall health, and any trauma or injury can have far-reaching consequences. So, an emergency is not something you should brush to the side.
What Is a Dental Emergency?
Any dental/oral trauma or issue constitutes a dental emergency. Typical examples include:
- Tooth Trauma: Tooth trauma can consist of everything from chipped to broken teeth, or even complete tooth loss. In every case, you need to visit your dentist as soon as possible to give your tooth the best chance of survival.
- Toothache: This is probably the most common cause for emergency dental treatment, and they can come on suddenly and be excruciating. This pain should never be ignored because it is usually a sign of something more sinister.
- Oral Trauma: Any time you receive a heavy blow to the face or mouth, you need to have your mouth checked by a dentist. Even if there are no visible issues, you may have some bruising or even tooth movement. The earlier this is checked, the less chance there is it will progress to something more serious.
- Lost Fillings: If you lose a filling, you should visit a dentist as soon as possible to protect your teeth. Remember, fillings are designed to preserve the strength of your teeth, as well a shielding your gums and roots from damage.
How We Stop Dental Emergencies In Their Tracks
- Toothache: The first step involves asking a series of questions over the phone about where you’re feeling pain, if you have any sensitivity and how severe the pain is. If we feel as though the pain is of a dental origin, we will book you in as soon as possible, so you don’t have to suffer the pain for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
- Tooth Trauma: Make sure you collect the tooth and any fragments after tooth trauma. If you get to us soon enough, we can save your tooth. If it has completely come out, make sure you put it back in the socket and come straight to our clinic. Don’t wash your tooth or fragments under a tap or put it in milk, just make getting an appointment a priority.
- Lost Fillings: If you’ve lost a filling, don’t eat anything on the affected side and avoid all hot, cold and sweet foods. Call us as soon as possible, and we’ll get you in for a filling repair treatment.
- Infection: An infection or abscess is a collection of pus that is caused by germs and bacteria. These infections can affect both the tooth and the gums and they are incredibly painful. We can alleviate the pain and give you the antibiotics you need to get rid of the infection and enjoy a healthy mouth again.
- Loose Crown or Veneer: Cementing a crown or veneer back on your teeth is straightforward. If you have lost the crown or veneer entirely, we can fit a temporary one and order a new one for as soon as possible.
- Orthodontics, Oral Appliances and Dentures: If you have a lost a wire or bracket form an orthodontic appliance, we can cement or fix it. If you have a fractured denture, visit us as soon as possible because they can deteriorate quite quickly.
No matter what dental emergency you’re facing, you can rely on us to make everything okay. Lifetime Holistic Dental genuinely cares about you and your health, so don’t feel embarrassed about your problem. We know how to get you through anything, restore your confidence in your smile and get you out of pain as quickly as possible.
We always keep room in our appointment book for emergency cases, so if you think there’s a problem call us on 9529 2920 and get the help you need. We would always rather you call us and discuss the issue rather than feeling too embarrassed or feeling as though the problem isn’t severe enough to warrant a call.
We offer the best emergency dental treatment in Melbourne. You’ll love our gentle and caring approach to the practice, and you’ll also appreciate the fact that we do more than just treat the issue at hand, we check your overall health picture and make sure everything is ticking along just nicely.