Lifetime Holistic Dental offers innovative sleep apnoea treatments that don’t just improve your sleep, they save lives. Our dental clinic takes a holistic approach to this issue, so the causes can be addressed, and you can enjoy the type of sleep that secures lifelong health.
So, what is sleep apnoea?
What is Sleep Apnoea?
Sleep apnoea is a prevalent condition with significant health consequences. Unfortunately, this condition is under-diagnosed and under-managed. The most common symptom is ceasing to breathe while asleep, but the other effects of this illness go un-noted.
People suffering from sleep apnoea don’t get quality sleep. They suffer from daytime tiredness, and in children, this can result in a reduced attention span. In adults, it can lead to an increased risk of workplace and even road accidents.
On top of these indirect consequences, the condition is also strongly linked with cardiovascular conditions ranging from hypertension to heart disease and stroke. Sleep apnoea has also been associated with reduced social functioning and depression.
The breadth and severity of these outcomes are why our Melbourne clinic is so committed to sleep apnoea and snoring treatments.
Our Sleep Apnoea Treatments
The most common treatment for both of these conditions is nasal continuous positive airway pressure (nCPAP). This machine uses a flow of air to increase the air pressure in the upper airway, which ensures oxygen continues to flow.
While this treatment is effective, around 30% of people are either unable or unwilling to use this treatment.
Mandibular Advancement Devices (MADs) are also an option, but these devices can create dental health problems, such as tooth movement and changes in the bite. It is also a lengthy and costly treatment option.
Many people suffering from sleep apnoea and snoring also grind their teeth while they’re asleep. This creates inflammation and pain around the TMJ, which has to settle down before the MAD can be fitted.
Our treatment runs as follows:
- A consultation visit will assess the severity of your condition. You will need to bring a sleep test along as we can’t diagnose sleep apnoea disorders. During this visit, we will also conduct a Jaw Joint Vibrational Analysis and Structural Testing. This test will ensure your mouth is ready for the MAD to be fitted. A Rhinometer will also check the blockage of your nose to see if a MAD is the best course of action.
- During the second visit, we will take a record of your bite, and capture the optimum position for your airway. We will consider two x-rays to find this optimum position.
- Once the MAD has been created, we will fit the device and monitor the results.
Why Should I Treat My Sleep Apnoea?
We look at the overall picture of your health to formulate a treatment. Our dental care is based around treating causes, rather than symptoms so we’ll look at everything from your lifestyle, to your health to make sure you end up with the best solution.
Sleep apnoea and snoring affect your sleep quality. A good night’s sleep is the bedrock of health, and as a holistic dental practice, we are interested in anything that will ensure you live a long, healthy and happy life.
Our principal dentist, Dr Chris Darby is at the forefront of sleep apnoea treatment technology. He will make sure you get the best technology and treatment for your needs.
Contact Lifetime Holistic Dental Today
To get in touch with the friendly team at Lifetime Holistic Dental, just:
- Call us on (03) 9529 2920
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pop in and see us at Suite 3/684 Malvern Road, Prahran, Victoria 3181