The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is a critical structure in the mouth because it is the joint the connects the lower jaw (mandible) with the temporal bone of the skull. The two bones and muscles are separated by an articular disc, and numerous ligaments function around the joint.
The joint allows you to talk and chew, which is why temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD) cause so many problems. Lifetime Holistic Dental’s principal dentist, Dr Chris Darby specialises in TMD, making our dentist clinic the perfect place if you are worried about your TMJ.
What Causes TMJ Disorders?
Many factors can create problems in the joint. Trauma, such as whiplash or a blow the jaw are common causes, while bruxism and repetitive clenching can also play a role. An improper bite can also create pain, while arthritis can affect this joint.
Dr Chris Darby is a committee member of the Australian chapter of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain (AACP), and he has the technique and technology to diagnose and treat your particular condition.
As a holistic TMF dentist, Chris will prescribe a range of treatments. For example, he uses non-invasive laser dentistry to provide relief from pain without surgery. He also works to find the actual cause, rather than just eliminating the symptoms.
Part of your treatment will often involve at-home exercise procedures which provide lifelong relief, instead of just a quick fix.
Why Should I Get TMJ Treatment?
If you’re suffering from TMD, there are many reasons to get it treated:
- The joint is crucial in vital functions, if you allow an issue to progress everything from eating to yawning could become incredibly painful.
- The earlier you seek treatment, the better the chance is you can avoid major surgery.
- TMD could often be related to severe dental issues, so treatment will improve your overall health.
- TMD can create migraines, muscle spasms and other conditions that affect your quality of life.
Ultimately, you deserve to live a life free of pain. We offer a TMJ dentist service that seeks to remove this pain and correct your joint without causing any further pain or harm.
Contact Lifetime Holistic Dental Today
To get in touch with the friendly team at Lifetime Holistic Dental, just:
- Call us on (03) 9529 2920
- Email us at email@example.com
- Pop in and see us at Suite 3/684 Malvern Road, Prahran, Victoria 3181